1 1/4 sticks unsalted butter
1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries
1/2 cup whole milk
1/2 cup sour cream
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp grated lemon rind
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
2-3 Tbl raw sugar for sprinkling on scones
- Preheat oven to 425. Freeze, then grate one stick of butter. Put blueberries into the freezer until needed. Whisk the milk and sour cream together and refrigerate until needed.
- Blend flour, sugar, lemon rind, baking powder, salt and baking soda together. Add frozen grated butter and gently toss with your hands until thoroughly coated. Fold in the chilled milk with a spatula until just combined.
- Turn the dough mixture onto a well-floured surface. Flour your hands and the dough, knead gently until six to eight times until it barely holds together. Add flour as needed to prevent sticking.
- Roll dough out to approximately a 12″ square.
- Sprinkle the cold blueberries evenly over the dough, pressing lightly into the dough. Roll the dough into a log shape, then press with a roller until about 4″ wide by 12″ long.
- Cut into four equal rectangles, and then each rectangle into triangles.
- Place scones on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Melt the remaining 1/4 stick butter, and brush each scone with butter and sprinkle with raw sugar.
- Bake until lightly golden brown, 18 to 24 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Serve warm or room temperature. Makes 8 scones.