- 32 oz container plain yogurt (strained to yield 1 ½ cups)
- 1 large cucumber, peeled and grated
- 1 clove garlic, crushed (more, if you’re a Freitag)
- 1 ½ Tbl fresh dill, chopped,
- 3 Tbl extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 ½ Tbl red wine vinegar
- salt to taste
You may substitute ¾ cup unstrained plain yogurt and ¾ cup sour cream. To strain the yogurt, line a sieve with three or four paper towels. Place the yogurt in the sieve, and the sieve on top of a bowl. Put it in the refrigerator for a few hours or overnight. Using paper towels to absorb the liquid, squeeze excess water from cucumber. Add to yogurt mixture. Mix in remaining ingredients. Cover and refrigerate until serving. Serve with fresh Greek bread, warm pita or over grilled chicken.