- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into cubes
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- All-purpose flour for coating
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons shallots, sliced
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup half and half or whole milk
- 1 6-ounce package baby spinach, chopped
Sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper and toss with flour to coat each piece.
Heat the olive oil in a heavy soup pot. Add shallots and garlic and cook briefly.
Add chicken and cook until browned.
Remove chicken with a slotted spoon and set aside.
Pour the wine into the pot and stir and cook, breaking up any browned bits on the bottom of the pot.
Add chicken stock, spinach and chicken.
Bring to a boil and reduce heat. Simmer for 15 minutes.
At this point you can thicken the soup with a flour and water slurry. Once thickened, add cream, and simmer for another 10 minutes before serving.